Firearm Buying Process
Pistols/Handgun Buying Process
* You must successfully take a Basic Hand Gun Safety course by a HPD verified instructor, before you are able to purchase a handgun. This course must have been completed within the last four years from the date of your application for a permit to acquire. Kona Guns and Ammo offers these classes at a private range at least once a month, visit the store front to register for the next class.
* Once you have taken one of those classes the next step is to purchase a firearm from an authorized Dealer and to schedule an appointment at the firearms section of the Police Station most convenient to you. You may also need a Money Order for $43.25 (if its your first time buying any firearm in Hawaii only) the $43.25 fee is just a one time fingerprint fee, background checks are free.
* Background checks will take a minimum of 14 days and up to 40 days, you will then receive a call or e-mail from the firearms section of the Police department when your permit is ready - you will only have 30 days from when the permit is issued to pickup your handgun from the dealer you bought it from or you will have to reapply if its over 30 days.
* Once you pickup your handgun you will have 5 days to turn in the registration form by either e-mail or in person at the firearms section of the police department.
* You need to take the safety class every four years and you can buy as many handguns as you want and more than one can be purchased at a time, each handgun will have its own permit, buying more than one at a time makes it easier than buying at separate times.
Long Gun (Rifle & Shotgun) Buying Process
*You will need either the Basic Handgun Safety course by a HPD Verified instructor or your original certificate of completion for the Hawaii Hunter's Education safety course. Both can not be greater than four years old.
* You need to apply at the Kona Firearms department and if its your first time buying a gun then you will need a money order for $43.25 just once for your fingerprints.
* It will take a minimum of 14 days and up to 40 days to receive your long gun permit (background check), you will receive a call or e-mail from the firearms section of the Police Department when it's ready for pickup.
* Long gun permits are good for 1 year and within that year you can purchase up to 99 long guns, that is a permit to acquire, you do not need to renew your permit the next year if you do not want to acquire any more long guns.
* With your long gun permit, you can come in to a gun shop and buy any rifle or/and shotguns and take it home with you that same day, again multiple long guns can be purchased at once no problem.
* You will have 5 days to register your newly acquired firearms. There is a form you can either e-mail or drop off. You will receive a registration (proof of ownership for each gun).